This blog was created as an outlet for my thoughts on how the adult generation influences young people, and the importance of sending the right messages to the next generation of Leaders.

My goal is to get people to think critically about life, through the context of sports,"

Thanks

TRP

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reflections of A Father

Matthew 10:33 "Who ever denies me before men, I will also deny before my father who is in heaven"

The day has finally arrived the day my daughter finally left home for college,this time of the year thousands of young people are going through this same experience, but what make this case unique is that she's moving to the campus where I work. Not only will she be a student, but she will also play basketball, the sport her dad coaches, can you see the interesting dynamics that we both tried to avoid? I haven't coached her since she was 9 years old, but here we are facing a dilemma that is sure to be a challenge for both of us. I've already noticed how quickly she like her siblings at various times in the past is trying to distance herself from the connection to her dad. This is a very common occurrence for my children especially my sons, they want to prove that they got to where they are on their own merit and that I had nothing to do with it. The love of a father is critical for the development of young people and I know my children love me and I them even if the words are seldom spoken, and growing up the relationship between my father and I was vastly different than the ones I've developed with each of them. So I try to understand their perspective, however its perplexing at times to witness them make every effort to down play their association with their father.

My children have experienced some benefits as a direct result of being my child that others can only dream of, tickets to sporting events complete with locker room access, entrance into social functions, travel and the opportunity to attend one of the best private colleges in the country. My prayer is that one day they'll learn to appreciate the sacrifices endured to pave the way for them and the respect I've earned in doing so; took many years to achieve. This recent experience of helping my daughter move into her dorm room caused me to stop and reflect on the following, how many people are like my children when they experience blessings in their lives, get that opportunity they desired, the promotion at work or financial increase and yet try to distance themselves from the affiliation or connection to the "Heavenly Father". They place more emphasis on what others may think and crafting the perception of a self made person who made it by their own accord, through hard work , perseverance and talent with little or no assistance. I imagine at times God must feel like I do, proud to see his children mature, gain a sense of independence, enjoying the fruits of his labor and the burdens he bore only to have them do their best to keep their relationship with him private. As a parent it's my responsibility to provide for my children and I take that commitment seriously and if some perks come along with that, so be it. Hopefully as they continue to grow and develop into productive citizens and one day start families of their own they'll fully comprehend what it means to have a good name and how important the right associations are in opening doors for the next generation.

©2008 Tony Price Unlimited, LLC

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I relate to you. The ache is excruciating. I have one child, a son who had to go to boarding school as I was in a transferable job.

Subsequently, we had to lose him again to alcohol, to recovery via the AA, to a daughter in law, then a divorced single existence and now with the grace of God, he is back with us.

Throughout all these upheavals, what kept me going was Khalil Gibran's poem, which I reproduce below for you.
" On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable."

I like your blog. I intend visiting often and commenting where I can. You can learn about me from my blog http://www.rummuser.com

L Martin Johnson Pratt said...

The beauty of this post was just that you posted it. Too many of us feel these things yet dont post. Thanks BIG POPPA! I got 9, 7, 2 so and my oldest is a girl so believe you me i aint relishing the idea under the exception that i will be a very successful businessman that will donate enough to the college of her choice that they allow me to install webcams in her dorm and buildings that she attends class in LOL If you get a chance ck out my new site for the 1st Black Male Bookclub -Black Men Empowering Neighborhood Bookclub - http://www.bmenbookclub.com i would love to have you as part of our conversations

Tony Price said...

Rummuser
Appreciate the poem you posted, children are a gift and blessing, I just think its an interesting dynamic to have one of mines attend the institution where I work, for both of us, so far so good.

Tony Price said...

Martin Johnson Pratt
I enjoyed your comments ,especially the part about installing camera's. I will definitely check out the web site, I like the concept already, black men's book club!

Anonymous said...

I am sure that this will be of interest to you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/fashion/18Work.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin


Disclaimer
"The Darker Shade of Sports" does not claim credit for any images featured on this site, unless otherwise noted. Usually we try to give credit when and where we can. All visual content, copy and images, is copyrighted to its respectful owners. We are neither responsible, nor have we control, on content of any external website links. Information featured on this site may and can contain errors or inaccuracies. If you own rights to any of the featured images and do not wish to appear here, please don’t hesitate to contact us for direct removal. Thank you for your consideration.

All articles and postings are Copyright protected
© 2008 Tony Price Unlimited, LLC